Wednesday, May 6, 2009

We 'Innocent' Indians.

We 'Innocent' Indians.
Floods, burglary, rail and road mishaps, famines and the latest ones but unfortunately the more frequent visitors- the terror attacks. What we masses scream and protest against most vehemently is the mortality and the morbidity of the innocent people,right?                                                                                                                                               Yes ,its  profoundly regrettable.I am having tears in my eyes and lump in my throat as I recollect the scores of bodies of children and infants as I write this. Did you think that I missed the dead bodies of all men and women . Should I not  feel the same for them ? I do.                                                                                                                                        Any life lost will always be lamented upon. But the question is , really how very innocent are we?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Some introspection and a lot of observation makes me believe that we  should stand as a defination of innocence. Really!!. Innocent enough to flood the streets to exhibit a strong 'reaction'  against the terrorist attacks.Innocent enough to forget that 'reacton' and refrain from any 'action' on the election day. Innocent enough to speak that one vote would not be of any use. Innocent enough to believe the the new government thus  elected  would be capable of protecting us and our country. Innocent enough to run after the super-corrupt politicians when they come to visit their plundered constituency. Innocent enough to pay bribes to all the government official to get the 'essential' work done.Innocent enough to re-elect the same clan of people who has starved some of us and parched our farm lands watching some money yielding sport.Innocent enough to make victorious the same candidate who kept the water bodies inundated and let floods wipe out peace and lives out of our life in exchange of some innocent money and some innocent liquor( come on, if we are why can't money and liquor be innocent?)                                                                                                                          Our innocence makes us believe that some female was raped and the accuse acquitted only because she was unfortunate or 'that' kind of woman and the rapist  a progeny of some magnate or politician, there by innocently licencing a rich rapist to rape(wow, nice alliteration!!). we innocently believe that the childern die after vaccination due to the crimes commited by their parents in the present or one of the previous births and not because of some heinous corruption racket which gives birth to infected, toxic or impotent(sounds familiar to the adjectives use for our system??) vaccines.                                                                                            I think I have convinced you well about the quality and quantity of our innocence.So this time when I saw the voting percentages plumentting especially in the educated innocent mumbai, I  had tears in my eyes and lump in my throat for I could forsee, again scores of bodies of children ,infants and even we 'Innocent Indians'.                  

5 comments:

  1. Hi!

    Going by your judgement, I'm the most innocent of all! With only one difference that I don't go around proclaiming my innocence. I've yet not got my voters' ID made, and that too when I get it made, it'd to get a convenient and government-recognized proof of identity, which I won't mind if is lost. And the worst thing--I'm not ashamed of any of these.

    Personally, if you ACTUALLY got that much affected, then it's not good for your long-term spiritual health more so if you're to continue staying in India. I know you might be thinking like who these words are coming from!

    Really well written, and if you could forgive me for this...far surpassing my expectation. Sincerely looking forward to more posts from you.

    TC.

    PS: I think you forgot to put a title for your post, and if you're planning to do more blogs, adding tags like "politics", "election", "innocence" would be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you well, so I think that you have commented rather bluntly.I believe that voting or rather attempting to vote(not all are fortunate enough,courtesy election commission)is the most easy way either to bring about or atleast be a part of a constructive change.If one cannot do it, he/she/it, does not have any right to claim the benefits of democracy, freedom,social security or human rights.It's simple, a person lazy enough not to light a lamp should never complain about darkness but ironically is the first one to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!

    If by 'blunt' you meant straightforward, then yes my response was. But if you meant rude, then am sorry as that wasn't the intention.

    Something about your attitude (as reflected also by your urging people on Orkut to vote) had greatly worried me--the prospect of your losing apathy. Apathy is a hard earned social adaptation especially if you're a thinking person genuinely concerned about the welfare of the mankind. What's worrying is your EXPECTATION that 'people' and their attitudes will change. Do you really think that it's laziness that prevented people from voting? You've yourself talked of the deeper reasons for that. How many more times do you want to be heartbroken like this only because of expecting of people?

    I didn't tell you of my attitude about voting because I'm proud of it, but because the apathy in it is exemplary (specifically for you). In your evolution as an intellectual, you'd earned apathy, and losing it is regressive! Each time you'd have concluded 'duniya ka kuchh nahin ho sakta', do you really think that was only cynicism, and not your wisdom?

    If you felt my usage of 'spiritual health' was sarcastic, then it wasn't. By that I'd meant your level of happiness and contentment in life and level of ease with the world around. What other term could have I used? I'd thought of mental health, but that'd have been impertinent in both the senses of the term ('impertinent'/'impertinence' has two meanings!).

    Ok, if once in a while your apathy doesn't come in way of penting up emotions and you need to vent it all, then your blog was indeed the proper channel. Yes, people's hypocrisy can be very frustrating. Even I've indulged in it (catharsis, not hypocrisy!) through my blog, and in that case I empathize with you.

    If you'd have written a comic piece with no element of your emotion, I'd have only praised your writing effort (which I anyway did and hope you didn't miss) and not dropped the hint (which you'd missed to my shock!) as I did this once, but this case was different.

    TC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One suggestion: "We 'innocent' Indians" should've been the title instead of "Election", and "Election" should've been the tag that you can add at the end of of post. TC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i guess the comments will also make up a great blog.....

    ReplyDelete